Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
We are having some unusually cold and icy days here in Austin, and I am pulling from the comfort food recipes I tucked away during the blasting heat of summer. This particular version of Shepherd’s Pie is so worth the effort and absolutely won everyone over. Of course, we would expect nothing less from the amazing Jamie Oliver.
Here is my adapted version. You certainly won’t regret carving a bit of extra time out to make this satisfying dish.
- 1.5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 lb Japanese white sweet potatoes
- 4 T Earth Balance coconut spread
- 6 medium shallots
- 4 carrots
- 1 T coriander seeds or powder
- Coconut oil
- ½ bunch of fresh thyme, leaves separated from stems
- ¾- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms
- ¾ – 1 lb oyster mushrooms
- 7- 14 ounces of chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- organic vegetable stock as needed
- 4 cups of cooked lentils (preferably Puy lentils)
- 5 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 T Herbes de provence
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ C gluten free bread crumbs or nut based breading
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Chop all the potatoes into quarters. Place Yukon Gold potatoes in a steamer, simmering until tender. Remove to cool and add white sweet potatoes to the steamer and simmer until tender.
- Once cooled, peel and place in a bowl all together, adding coconut spread, sea salt and pepper to taste. Mash until smooth.
- Peel and finely chop shallots and carrots.
- Heat coconut oil in heavy pan, add coriander, thyme leaves and shallots, cooking over low heat until softened.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the mushrooms add to the pan. Once cooked add balsamic vinegar.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, add canned tomatoes, turn up the heat and allow it to bubble away. Stir in the lentils and 1 cup of stock. Simmer further to blend flavors and reduce liquids.
- Add parsley and Herbes de provence and lemon juice, then transfer to a baking dish. Spread the mashed potato blend over the top.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs or nut breading over the mash, placing in the hot oven for around 15-30 minutes, or until piping hot through.
- Place under the broiler very briefly until golden.