Quick to the table and full of flavor this Cauliflower Chaat is a perfect summer dish. Serve it hot or pack it up for a picnic side.
My recipe was inspired by Tejal Rao’s Cauliflower Chaat published here. Don’t pass on the masala the amchoor (dried mango powder) is critical to the complex blend of flavors that make this dish so special.
- 3 +/- tablespoons oil, coconut or sunflower work well
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into similar sized florets
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chaat masala, Spicewalla offers a nice blend
Blend cauliflower with all above ingredients. Place in a preheated oven, 425 degrees, for approx 25 minutes. Check Cauliflower and remove when it is just fork tender yet still holds it’s shape.
I use my small convection oven which is a cooler option in the summer months. This could also be cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stove. I prefer the oven because it is hands off and allows me some time to prepare the sauce.
- 1 cup cilantro, stems and leaves
- ½ jalapeño pepper
- ½ small sweet onion or a few small shallots or whatever is on hand
- ½ cup of plant based yoghurt, choose a brand that is quite thick
- Pinch or two of cumin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the sauce by placing all ingredients in a small food processor. Purée ingredients until smooth, adding either plant based milk or a bit of water to thin.Taste and adjust seasonings including lemon juice as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Place cauliflower on a platter, drizzle with this yummy sauce, sprinkle with some chopped or slivered almonds and enjoy!