When tender stems of baby broccoli, French breakfast radishes, and gorgeous Russian kale made their appearance last week at the Farmer’s Market, I saw the makings of a perfect spring salad. A big thank you to River Bottom Farms for their commitment to sustainable, organic produce. With ingredients that are this fresh and delicious, all that’s needed is some chopping and a yummy sauce to dress it. While a simple vinaigrette would be perfectly fine, I like to use something a little creamy to stand up to the textures of this veggie mix. You’ll find my favorite hemp and miso dressing below with two flavor options.
Here are the super simple instructions to make this salad at home:
- Baby broccoli, finely chopped including the tender stems (often sold as broccolini)
- A handful or more of radishes, grated if large enough, or sliced thin
- Russian kale, stemmed and finely chopped
- Carrots, peeled and grated
All of these ingredients can be prepped by hand or use a veggie bullet to finish this task in a jiffy. Mix together with the miso dressing in a large salad bowl an hour before serving.
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of olive oil ( for an oil-free version increase the water to ½ cup)
- 3/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white or chickpea Miso
For more flavor choose one of the following sets of ingredients to add before blending:
Creamy Herb – A pinch of garlic powder, onion powder, and mineral salt, a few strands of chives, along with a few sprigs of fresh dill and parsley
Ginger Mustard – 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, old style whole grain and raw, 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
Blend all dressing ingredients in a high powered blender. Consider doubling the batch as this will keep for three days when refrigerated.