The saffron in this Saffron Pumpkin soup adds touch of elegance that will make it seem like you’ve made a gourmet restaurant style soup – because you just did!
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Set oven at 350 degrees.
- Toss seeds together in a bowl and spread on a parchment paper-covered sheet pan.
- Roast in the oven for 10 mins. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container until use.
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- Medium pumpkin or butternut squash seeded and cubed
- Salt and Pepper
- Set oven to 450 degrees
- Toss oil, onion, pumpkin and place on parchment paper covered sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until edges darken and fork-tender.
- In stockpot heat together
- 1 liter of veggie broth
- ¼ tea of saffron threads
- Zest from one orange
- A pinch or two of harissa depending on spice preference
- Bunch of kale, removed from stalks and chiffonade cut, blanched
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- A handful of cilantro, leaves removed and chopped
When the pumpkin is roasted tip into stock, add kale and chickpeas. Heat until warm but do not cook further. Divide into bowls, sprinkle with cilantro and seeds, serve and enjoy!