Here’s my take on another Melissa Clark recipe that will warm your heart and fill your tummy.
There are a few steps to get these veggies to the oven, but then it’s pleasantly hands-off until dinner. I discovered that there is just enough baking time to get a short walk in before the winter sun has set.
Ingredients to Roast
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1½ cups of halved cherry tomatoes
- 1-2, seeded and thinly sliced jalapeños
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 TBL tomato paste
- A splash of hot sauce of your choice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 can of rinsed, drained, and blotted dry chickpeas
- 6 small to medium red potatoes quartered
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (or substitute soy, nut or coconut milk yogurt)
- 1 cup of freshly chopped herbs- your choice
- 1 finely minced shallot or a few scallions
- 1 cup of plant-based yogurt
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Salt to taste
- Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and heat to 425 degrees.
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring a small pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add lemon slices and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel, and cut slices into quarters.
- While the oven preheats, prepare yogurt sauce, and salt to taste, and set aside.
- On the first baking sheet, toss cauliflower, tomatoes, and jalapeños with salt and oil according to your preference. Add lemon slices and place on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Prepare a mixture of spices, tomato paste, hot sauce, and a few splashes of olive oil. Toss in a bowl with quartered potatoes and chickpeas. Sprinkle with sauce and add to the second baking sheet.
- The combined baking time will be 35-45 mins depending on the size of the cauliflower and potatoes.
- When fork tender, remove from oven and gently combine on a single serving platter.
- Serve with yogurt sauce and extra hot sauce if desired.