August 21, 2021
Despite residing in the Southwest for over 12 years I am not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to chilis. My dear German husband though nearly perfect in many ways is not a fan of spicy food. I on the other hand adore new flavors—salty, spicy and hot. What I love about this dish is that it introduced me to guajillo chilis that add depth but not so much heat, and so they passed the Joachim test. I now have a new friend in the kitchen and thanks to my friend Alina I know where to find the good ones.
- 2 large guajillo chiles, soak 15 mins in hot water, then remove stem and seeds
- 1 Tablespoon oil grapeseed oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 7 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 8 oz (226.8 g) sliced or chopped mushrooms white, cremini or a combination with others
- 2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce 1 for less heat
- 1 tsp ground cumin, or a combination of cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) smoked hot paprika or 1 tsp chili powder blend
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cinnamon or a dash
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves or a pinch
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- 3/4 cup (176.25 ml) water or veggie broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 3 tsp lime juice to preference
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) sugar or maple – optional
Vegan Sour Cream
Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add bay leaf, onions, garlic, and pinch of salt and cook until translucent. 5 mins.
- Remove half of the onion mixture and transfer to a blender.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture, a pinch of salt and continue to cook over medium heat. If doubling this recipe cook mushrooms in batches.
- Add softened chile to the blender along with the chipotle pepper and the next 7 ingredients. Blend until smooth pouring into mushroom mixture in skillet.
- Simmer on low for 20-30 mins, add vinegar and lime just before serving.
- Adjust seasonings, remove bay leaf.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas with suggested toppings on the side.
Guajillo Chiles are very mild, chipotle chilies are moderate to hot. Adjust the heat of your dish with varying amounts of these two. For a very milder sauce seed the chipotle pepper before adding. For more spice add cayenne pepper.
I’ve now made this several times and it adapts very well to the addition of a can of black or pinto beans.
Learn to support your health naturally with weekly tips
delivered straight to your inbox.
You may also be interested in:
“What I see in nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility.” – Albert Einstein Dear beloved, It’s birthing season for our neighborhood white-tailed deer herd. Following the herd through the cycle of the year provides precious reminders of…
Make this once and you will wonder why you ever ate pizza any other way. The potatoes slices turn golden and crispy on top and soft and creamy where they lay against the earthy layer of greens. I like a bit of the heat that red chili pepper flakes offer, but adjust according to your…
“Promise me you’ll always remember:You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A. A. Milne Dear beloved, As I reflect on my growth cycles over the past two years, it is difficult to pinpoint the moment I recognized I would be ok, my family would be ok…
I love a good noodle bowl; perhaps the freedom to design unique combinations speaks to my inner rebel child! Regardless of the reason, these are just pure joy to make and consume. I hope you can work this recipe into your menu next week. Ingredients Sauce ½ cup tahini One lime, juiced 1 T Maple…
“There is a life-force within your soul, seek that life. There is a gem in the mountain of your body, seek that mine.” -Rumi Dear beloved, Since I first held her tiny unfolding form hours after birth, it’s been clear my granddaughter Rowan is here on a mission. She is a teacher and her lessons…
I must admit that the pizza fan in me was a bit skeptical when my friend Jhuma proposed this recipe for dinner. But being a lover of veggies in all forms I was game to try. Not only did it win me over but I was anticipating the delicious leftovers the next day. Adapted from…
Enjoy this sweet mix of Gemmotherapy Materia Medica and an Asian Medicine lens as Maegan and Lauren explore the potential of each Gemmotherapy Extract. Discover what Grey Alder tree extract can offer you and your family now. Discover more about Lauren and Maegan’s work here: Lauren Hubele Maegan Lemp Learn more about Gemmotherapy here. Find…
“One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.” -Friedrich Nietzsche Dear beloved, My writing inspiration likes to show up in those liminal hours of dawn and then a morning river swim fills in the gap. As my week progresses I will see glimpses of the same…
In Germany this constructed and baked dish is called in auflauf. In my busy mom/high school teacher day I swore by them. Because like most moms I rose early to get ahead of the day I would assemble one before leaving the house. It was pure satisfaction to pull it out of the fridge, popping…
Join this lively conversation with Lauren Hubele and Teacher, Gemmo Fan, and Mom of Two, Ashley Dalme fielding questions from our listeners. Learn specific Gemmos and tips to settle even the youngest nervous systems in the household. In this episode, you will discover how to support sleep in your children whether the challenge comes getting…
“A powerful mental shift takes place when we stop telling ourselves why something can’t happen. When we can envision a hoped-for future, we strengthen our belief that it is possible.” -Joanna Macy, “Allegiance to Life” Dear beloved, When I’m called to go to the inner depths where my own voice is strong and clear, it…
When the high of the day is 48 degrees along coastal Maine, there’s nothing better than a warming vegetable curry. I was inspired to make this dish oil free, not a skill I had practiced but I’m always up for a new challenge. The results were absolutely delicious. Ingredients 4 medium sweet potatoes cut into…