Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
March 4, 2022
Throughout my childhood potatoes were a great comfort food. That attachment to potatoes only grew stronger during my years living in Germany. Here’s a beautiful dish of scalloped potatoes that in former times I would have drenched in cream and butter. This version delivers just as much flavor without the heaviness of dairy.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large shallots peeled and chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup of prepared or purchased vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4-5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 large Yukon gold or Red potatoes (very thinly sliced)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Gluten-free breadcrumbs for an optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). And on the stovetop heat a large rimmed, oven-safe cast-iron (or metal) skillet over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, add olive oil, shallots, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until just lightly golden brown.
- Add cornstarch or arrowroot, mixing well and cooking for a minute or two.
- Gently whisk in plant-based milk being careful to prevent clumping. Add to that the vegetable broth, reducing heat and simmering for 4-5 minutes to thicken. Continue whisking frequently to prevent mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat, transfer sauce to a blender, add nutmeg, a pinch more salt, pepper, smoked paprika and nutritional yeast.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Wipe out the skillet and coat the bottom and sides generously with oil or vegan butter.
- Lay down half the sliced potatoes and season with salt and pepper, cover with ⅓ of the sauce. Add remaining potatoes, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and pour remaining sauce. Use a large spoon or spatula around the edges to be sure the sauce is well integrated.
- Cover with foil and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Take the pan out for a moment and sprinkle with bread crumbs returning to the oven until the potatoes are fork tender and the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let potatoes cool and settle a bit before serving.
Learn to support your health naturally with weekly tips
delivered straight to your inbox.
You may also be interested in:
“What I see in nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility.” – Albert Einstein Dear beloved, It’s birthing season for our neighborhood white-tailed deer herd. Following the herd through the cycle of the year provides precious reminders of…
Make this once and you will wonder why you ever ate pizza any other way. The potatoes slices turn golden and crispy on top and soft and creamy where they lay against the earthy layer of greens. I like a bit of the heat that red chili pepper flakes offer, but adjust according to your…
“Promise me you’ll always remember:You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A. A. Milne Dear beloved, As I reflect on my growth cycles over the past two years, it is difficult to pinpoint the moment I recognized I would be ok, my family would be ok…
I love a good noodle bowl; perhaps the freedom to design unique combinations speaks to my inner rebel child! Regardless of the reason, these are just pure joy to make and consume. I hope you can work this recipe into your menu next week. Ingredients Sauce ½ cup tahini One lime, juiced 1 T Maple…
“There is a life-force within your soul, seek that life. There is a gem in the mountain of your body, seek that mine.” -Rumi Dear beloved, Since I first held her tiny unfolding form hours after birth, it’s been clear my granddaughter Rowan is here on a mission. She is a teacher and her lessons…
I must admit that the pizza fan in me was a bit skeptical when my friend Jhuma proposed this recipe for dinner. But being a lover of veggies in all forms I was game to try. Not only did it win me over but I was anticipating the delicious leftovers the next day. Adapted from…
Enjoy this sweet mix of Gemmotherapy Materia Medica and an Asian Medicine lens as Maegan and Lauren explore the potential of each Gemmotherapy Extract. Discover what Grey Alder tree extract can offer you and your family now. Discover more about Lauren and Maegan’s work here: Lauren Hubele Maegan Lemp Learn more about Gemmotherapy here. Find…
“One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.” -Friedrich Nietzsche Dear beloved, My writing inspiration likes to show up in those liminal hours of dawn and then a morning river swim fills in the gap. As my week progresses I will see glimpses of the same…
In Germany this constructed and baked dish is called in auflauf. In my busy mom/high school teacher day I swore by them. Because like most moms I rose early to get ahead of the day I would assemble one before leaving the house. It was pure satisfaction to pull it out of the fridge, popping…
Join this lively conversation with Lauren Hubele and Teacher, Gemmo Fan, and Mom of Two, Ashley Dalme fielding questions from our listeners. Learn specific Gemmos and tips to settle even the youngest nervous systems in the household. In this episode, you will discover how to support sleep in your children whether the challenge comes getting…
“A powerful mental shift takes place when we stop telling ourselves why something can’t happen. When we can envision a hoped-for future, we strengthen our belief that it is possible.” -Joanna Macy, “Allegiance to Life” Dear beloved, When I’m called to go to the inner depths where my own voice is strong and clear, it…
When the high of the day is 48 degrees along coastal Maine, there’s nothing better than a warming vegetable curry. I was inspired to make this dish oil free, not a skill I had practiced but I’m always up for a new challenge. The results were absolutely delicious. Ingredients 4 medium sweet potatoes cut into…