Walnut-Crusted Tomato Tart
May I just say how delighted I am to have mastered a gluten-free, vegan tomato tart this summer? Picture-perfect, savory and seasonal tarts are a mainstay in French cuisine, and they typically involve large quantities of butter, cream, eggs and wheat flour. Thanks to Niki of Rebel Recipes, I have been inspired and succeeded in mastering a tart I could eat. And it was delicious. So many possible variations to try next! That includes zucchini, aubergine, spinach and artichokes, to name just a few.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 cups ground walnut meal
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I used a blend of oat and buckwheat)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soak for 1 hour in hot water)
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 4 small cherry tomatoes, or 1 medium tomato halved and seeded, set to drain on paper towels
- 1/2 can organic chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Small colorful heirloom tomatoes, cut in half seeded, set to drain on paper towels
- Drizzle olive oil
- Sprinkle sea salt
- Herbes de Provence
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make a flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- Pour walnut meal into bowl. Add flax egg, oil and almond milk. Mix well, using hands to combine ingredients and form a ball.
- Grease a round, loose bottom pie pan with oil.
- Using your fingers, press crust dough into the bottom and up the side of the pan. Poke a few holes with a fork across the bottom.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool while preparing the filling.
- Place all ingredients for the filling in a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Spoon filling mix into crust. Level out with a spoon and place tomatoes, pressing in slightly.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, herbs and sprinkle of sea salt
- Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes (until the base is crispy and the tomatoes are cooked and caramelized).
- Allow to cool before removing the pan.
- Tart is best served at room temperature and keeps well for up to 24 hours.