Red Lentil Bolognese
Adapted from Vegan Richa’s Lentil Bolognese
- 1 package of gluten free spaghetti
- 1 cup of red lentils
- Olive oil
- 2 pkgs or 1lb of mushrooms chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely
- 1-2 shallots or cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 t dried oregano or use 1/2 tbsp fresh
- 2 t dried basil or use 2 tbsp fresh
- 1 t of dried thyme or a sprig of fresh
- ½ t of red pepper flakes ( adjust to taste)
- 3 T nutritional yeast optional
- 16 ounces of crushed tomatoes
- 2 heaping T tomato paste
- 1 T of maple syrup
- 1 cup of prepared veggie broth on reserve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil or thyme for garnish
- Wash the lentils, cover with water and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Keep a close watch and add a bit of water and stir as needed. Cook until softened and the water has been mostly absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet over medium heat, add onion, shallots or garlic and a sprinkle of salt. Once onion has softened add a handful or two of the chopped mushrooms. Saute in batches, removing cooked ones to a bowl as you work your way through all of the mushrooms.
- Return all mushrooms to the skillet, add the carrots, herbs, spices and mix in. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, maple syrup, salt, pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked lentils and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Adjust thickness with veggie broth or tomato paste. Allow it to sit while pasta is prepared.
- Prepare spaghetti, drain
- Serve bolognese over cooked spaghetti, garnishing with fresh basil and vegan parmesan.