Red Lentil Bolognese
May 1, 2021
Adapted from Vegan Richa’s Lentil Bolognese
- 1 package of gluten free spaghetti
- 1 cup of red lentils
- Olive oil
- 2 pkgs or 1lb of mushrooms chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely
- 1-2 shallots or cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 t dried oregano or use 1/2 tbsp fresh
- 2 t dried basil or use 2 tbsp fresh
- 1 t of dried thyme or a sprig of fresh
- ½ t of red pepper flakes ( adjust to taste)
- 3 T nutritional yeast optional
- 16 ounces of crushed tomatoes
- 2 heaping T tomato paste
- 1 T of maple syrup
- 1 cup of prepared veggie broth on reserve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil or thyme for garnish
- Wash the lentils, cover with water and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Keep a close watch and add a bit of water and stir as needed. Cook until softened and the water has been mostly absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet over medium heat, add onion, shallots or garlic and a sprinkle of salt. Once onion has softened add a handful or two of the chopped mushrooms. Saute in batches, removing cooked ones to a bowl as you work your way through all of the mushrooms.
- Return all mushrooms to the skillet, add the carrots, herbs, spices and mix in. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, maple syrup, salt, pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked lentils and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Adjust thickness with veggie broth or tomato paste. Allow it to sit while pasta is prepared.
- Prepare spaghetti, drain
- Serve bolognese over cooked spaghetti, garnishing with fresh basil and vegan parmesan.
Learn to support your health naturally with weekly tips
delivered straight to your inbox.
You may also be interested in:
Bringing together simple, good quality ingredients makes for kitchen magic. This delicious Lemony White Bean Soup is a stand-out example of that principle. INGREDIENTS 3 tablespoons olive oil 2 large carrots, diced 1 bunch sturdy greens, I used cabbage and kale, finely sliced and stems chopped 1 can of chopped tomatoes 3 tablespoon tomato paste…
Just in time for Halloween is this take on Anna Jones’ six-ingredient squash stew. There happen to be just a few more than six ingredients but they are all items you’re likely to have on hand. Ingredients Olive oil, for frying 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped (or a small…
Is it simmering stew season yet? Just to be clear, that means a veggie-full stew, and this one totally fits the bill. Not only is it packed with fall harvest vegetables, the spice combination is divine. I brought this along to a house concert potluck, and I had to think twice if I really wanted…
Sometimes we are blessed by what little we have, as was recently my experience. It was the end of the week, and I needed to put together one more meal with the remnants of all of the produce left in the fridge. Sometimes this leads to dinner fails and other times it’s a win. I…