Creamy Lime and Avocado Tart
Here’s a delightful guilt-free treat that you can even find time to make midweek. It’s also quarantine shopping friendly… is that a term yet? With only seven simple ingredients, you are almost sure to have them all on hand. It was a great save for me on Monday when Joachim’s birthday seemed to appear out of nowhere, and I was up against a packed schedule.
We can thank Brittany Mullins @Eatingbirdfood for inspiring this dessert and for her many spot-on gluten-free, vegan recipes.
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts, consider pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1–2 tsp lime zest
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 medium avocados, halved, pitted and peeling removed (about 2 cups avocado puree)
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 3 T coconut oil
- 2 tsp lime zest
- Drain dates and pat dry with paper towels. Place all ingredients in a food processor together until a dough has formed.
- Press into springform tart pan or six individual custard cups. Place in the freezer to set while you prepare the filling.
- Blend avocados, lime juice, sweetener of choice, coconut oil and lime zest in food processor until creamy.
- Remove crust from the freezer. Pour filling over the crust, smoothing out with a spatula.
- Return to freezer until set, about 2 hours. Move to refrigerator or countertop to allow to soften before slicing and serving. Store any leftovers back in the freezer.