July 15, 2020
Enjoy this refreshing potato salad from the Swabian region of Germany. Be sure to plan ahead as it improves when the potatoes are given a few hours to absorb the simple dressing.
- 1 ½ lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 veggie broth cube and ½ cup boiling water
- 3 Tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp mild oil such as sunflower
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- ½ onion, diced
- Chopped fresh chives or dill for garnish (optional)
- Steam unpeeled potatoes until fork tender but firm. Set aside until cool enough to easily handle.
- While potatoes cool, dice onions and prepare the broth,
- Add onions to the hot broth along with vinegar, oil, sweetener, salt and pepper to make a dressing.
- Peel potatoes, slice and arrange in serving bowl.
- Cover with dressing.
- Set aside at room temperature for flavors to meld.
- When ready to serve, adjust seasonings and garnish with fresh herbs.
If there is any remaining salad (which would be a rare occasion at my house), refrigerate. Then, prior to serving again, allow the salad to once again reach room temperature.
You may also be interested in:
New potatoes! What a treat! If you haven’t tasted freshly harvested new potatoes, you are seriously missing out. I happen to be partial to the ones I have been discovering in my Tecolote Farm basket…
Oma Hubele has a place of honor in our household for many, many reasons but this recipe helped her win over the hearts of my two teenage daughters sixteen years ago. Since then, in their…
I don’t know about you, but we can’t get enough sweet potatoes here at the Hubele house. Here’s a sophisticated spin to try that is a far cry from any marshmellowy memory you may have. Give this…
I am super fortunate to live with two open-minded eaters. They not only put up with my kitchen experiments, they fully participate with suggestions and ideas (sometimes a few more than I am prepared for!).…