The weather has turned cold here in Foix these final days of winter with a mix of snow and rain each day. This delightful and colorful soup brightened the dreary day and was delicious!
- 2 leeks, chopped fine
- 2 large kohlrabi peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- Chopped fresh or frozen spinach or kale
- Olive Oil
- 1 Tbl of freshly grated turmeric or 1 tea turmeric powder
- 1 Tbl of freshly grated ginger
- 1 tea cumin powder
- 2 cubes of vegetable broth cubes prepared with hot water
In a heavy dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat, add leeks, saute slowly allowing them to gently soften and not brown. Add spices, mix well, and broth. Remove from heat and set aside.
Steam each of the prepared vegetables (kohlrabi, potatoes, and squash) seperately until just fork tender, being very careful not to overcook.
Add to broth. Simmer gently for 15 mins.
Add chopped kale or spinach.
Adjust seasonings and liquid as needed.