Lauren’s Mushroom Bourguignon
If a rich and comforting meal is in order, then look no further. We can thank Melissa Clark from NYT for inspiring my vegan and gluten-free recipe below. Just a word of warning, the leftovers are even better and highly sought after, so you will need to prepare extra or find a good hiding place. 😉
- 8 Tablespoons vegan butter or extra-virgin olive oil (more if needed)
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms to prepare 10 cups of 1-inch chunks (I used Baby-Bellas, white and oyster)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 6 shallots, peeled and diced
- 1 large leek or 2 small leeks, white and light green parts, cut lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free flour blend
- 1.5 cups veggie broth
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine or more veggie broth
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari sauce
- Leaves from 3 fresh thyme branches or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat a large heavy skillet, melting 2 tablespoons butter, and begin sauteeing mushrooms in batches. Add additional butter for each new batch.
- Add carrots to the leeks and shallots and the previously prepared mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle in flour, stirring to coat all vegetables.
- Over low heat, slowly add vegetable broth, blending well to avoid any lumps. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- Add tomato paste and remaining broth or wine, coconut aminos, herbs and paprika. Cover and allow to simmer until carrots are tender and the flavors have melded.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.