Loaded Lentil Stew
February 28, 2020
This is quite a hardy stew, perfect for a blustery March meal. It also pairs well with the seeded buckwheat bread I shared last month.
- 2 T extra light olive oil
- 1 medium organic onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 t smoked paprika or good quality Spanish paprika
- 1 T fresh thyme
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 large organic carrots, diced
- 1 head savoy cabbage, finely chopped (green cabbage can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 cups organic french puy lentils (black or brown lentils can be substituted)
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can organic chopped, peeled tomatoes (or fresh Roma tomatoes, if available)
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch stemmed and torn or roughly chopped kale, chard or spinach
- Warm olive oil in a soup pot with a heavy bottom. Add onions and saute over low heat until soft and translucent. Add garlic or shallots, paprika, thyme, pepper flakes and carrots. Stir well to coat the carrots and saute until there is a change in color but they are still firm. Add tomato paste, cabbage, dried lentils and chickpeas, again stirring well to coat with the oil and spices. Add canned tomatoes and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for twenty minutes and cover with a lid.
- The type of lentil you use will dictate the cooking time from this point. Cook only until the lentils are tender but retain their form.
- Add bouillon cubes, additional water if desired, salt and pepper to taste. Gently incorporate the torn greens 5- 10 minutes before serving so they will retain their bright green color. Simmer until the greens are tender.
Learn to support your health naturally with weekly tips
delivered straight to your inbox.
You may also be interested in:
Ingredients 1 cup dry whole urad dal (black lentils), debris removed and soaked in plenty of water overnight or for at least six hours 4 cups water 15 oz can kidney beans (1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed 3 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter 1 tsp cumin seed 1 small bay leaf 4-6 cloves…
I must admit I was equally skeptical and intrigued by this recipe and danced around it for several days before giving it a go. Worried it would taste like a bowl of warm hummus I had Plan B on the ready, but it was never required. The real problem turned out to be not making…
Bringing together simple, good quality ingredients makes for kitchen magic. This delicious Lemony White Bean Soup is a stand-out example of that principle. INGREDIENTS 3 tablespoons olive oil 2 large carrots, diced 1 bunch sturdy greens, I used cabbage and kale, finely sliced and stems chopped 1 can of chopped tomatoes 3 tablespoon tomato paste…
So, long ago, back in an earlier chapter of my life, I taught at Heidelberg American High and after a full day of reigning in teenagers I spent my evenings trying to keep up with truly the world’s most active two year old boy. Some days there just wasn’t enough steam left and preparing a…