Gluten Free Sourdough Bread
November 4, 2022
There was something incredibly comforting about baking this in the midst of packing and listing our home for sale. In a week that felt like a tangle of loose ends, this loaf was solid and real. My wish is that this is the recipe that convinces you to keep a jar of sourdough starter in your fridge. No one ever regrets the time spent bringing one to life.
Below is my adaption of Aran Goyoaga’s Seeded Buckwheat Loaf from Cannelle et Vanille Bakes Simple.
This can be baked in a oiled loaf pan or in dutch oven as in the image above.
- 200g ( ⅔ cup) cold sourdough starter direct from the fridge
- 90 g ( ⅔ cup) buckwheat flour
- 115 g ( ½ cup) filtered room temp water
Blend until smooth, adding more water if needed to bring to the consistency of thick but pourable cream. Allow mixture to sit 4-6 hours until it is bubbly and has puffed on its surface.
- 500g ( 2 ¼ cup) filtered water
- 30g psyllium husk powder
- 245 g ( 1 ¾ cups) light buckwheat flour
- 60 g (½ cup) tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TBL Honey
- 345 g ( 2 ¾ cups) Mixed Seeds ( I use a mix of Sesame, Flax, Chia, Sunflower, and Pumpkin)
- Whisk together water and psyllium husks in a medium bowl and allow to stand 5 mins and thicken
- Combine flour, starch, salt, and cocoa powder in the bowl of a stand mixer
- Add thickened water, honey sponge, and seeds to bowl and blend well until all dry ingredients are incorporated. The dough should come together like a very thick, sticky cake batter.
- Pour into prepared pan or into a round proofing basket dusted with buckwheat flour
- Cover and cold rise overnight in the fridge
- In the morning, preheat oven to 450 degrees ( allow the dutch oven to preheat as well if using).
- In dutch oven, bake covered for 45 minutes at 450, remove lid, reduce heat to 400 and bake for another 30 minutes. In loaf pan bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 450 degrees, remove from pan, reduce heat to 400 degrees and place loaf on rack for the remaining 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack for 2 hours before cutting.
This loaf freezes well, whole or sliced.
Learn to support your health naturally with weekly tips
delivered straight to your inbox.
You may also be interested in:
Soy Sauce Noodles with Cabbage
Thank you, Hetty McKinnon, once again, for your inspiration. This is certainly one of those recipes that just writing it out prompts the desire to make it. So while you are reading, I will be serving myself. Ingredients 12 ounces dried or fresh thin noodles ( I subbed in Jovial GF Spaghetti which worked well)…
There was a chapter of my life when a freshly baked cake came out of my oven several times a week. We lived those days in Germany, I taught high school and often the first thing I did after arriving home was to gather ingredients and bake. At the time, our house was full, and…
Leek and Pea Pilaf
Ingredients 2 young tender leeks, washed and chopped fine, omitting the tougher green ends 8 ounces of frozen or fresh-shelled peas 2 TBL olive oil 1 TBL vegan butter 8 threads of good quality saffron allowed to “bloom” for 10 minutes in a few tablespoons of boiling water (this saffron by Kiva) is exceptional. 3-4 …
Frozen Mint Slices
So yummy. This dessert will certainly have you sneaking back into the freezer for just one more bite. We can thank Oh She Glows for this marvelous recipe and Tanya Renner for turning me on to it. Ingredients THE FILLING: 3/4 cup (225 g) raw cashew butter* 1/2 cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup, room…
Spicy Samosa Wraps
A quick and easy weeknight meal prep ahead packed lunch. Ingredients Samosa Potatoes: 1 tsp oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds 1/4 tsp coriander seeds 1/2 serrano pepper, chopped or other hot or mild green chili pepper (optional) 1 tsp ground turmeric 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin, preferably roasted 1 tsp ground coriander 1/3 tsp…
Ingredients 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve 2 large shallots peeled and minced 1-2 tablespoon herbs de Provence 1⁄2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or pinch of red chili flakes. 4 quarts veggie broth Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste 1 cup coarse stone ground yellow cornmeal 1 can rinsed and drained…
Roasted Spiced Cauliflower & Chickpeas
Here’s my take on another Melissa Clark recipe that will warm your heart and fill your tummy. There are a few steps to get these veggies to the oven, but then it’s pleasantly hands-off until dinner. I discovered that there is just enough baking time to get a short walk in before the winter sun…
White Bean, Kale and Tomato Soup
Just home from shopping at the local co-op, I needed a comforting soup that would come together quickly. This tomato-based beauty worked like a charm. The ingredients are all pantry staples, and a package of frozen spinach could easily sub in for the kale. Ingredients Olive oil 2 large shallots peeled and finely chopped 1…
On Demand Sourdough Flatbread
This final week of meal prep before our cross-country move was made all the easier with a large batch of this Sourdough Flatbread in the fridge. If you’ve missed my sharing Aran Goyoaga’s sourdough starter, here it is again. Start it on a Friday morning, and by Wednesday, you will be making bread. Several things…
Mushroom and Walnut Bolognese
Adapted from Alexa Weibel’s Vegan Bolognese Trust me on this, double this recipe because you will surely want more later in the week ahead. Ingredients 1 cup (100 grams) shelled gently chopped toasted walnuts Kosher salt and black pepper 1.5 lbs fresh mushrooms (use a combination of shiitake and baby bella) olive oil, plus more…
Gluten Free Sourdough Bread
There was something incredibly comforting about baking this in the midst of packing and listing our home for sale. In a week that felt like a tangle of loose ends, this loaf was solid and real. My wish is that this is the recipe that convinces you to keep a jar of sourdough starter in…
Direct from Lauren’s kitchen to yours. Ingredients Olive Oil 1 large late summer squash or zucchini- chopped in bite-sized pieces and oven roasted or sautéed in a pan until just tender but holding their shape well 1 onion peeled and chopped 1 large or four small sweet peppers seeded and chopped 2 heaping TBL…
Leave a Comment