If you could prepare only one more soup before spring weather turns to summer this would be my suggestion. I turned to Heidi Swanson for help when an abundance of gorgeous spring leeks filled my weekly CSA and I was unable to keep up by merely adding them to sauces and curries. Heidi’s recipes have never disappointed and this one has been elevated to even new heights on our family scale. Be prepared for something special and make enough to share with a friend.
2 Tbl coconut oil
3 medium(4-5 baby) leeks, washed and chopped
Zest of 2 lemons
9 cups water
2.5 tsp sea salt
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups of white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups cauliflower, broken into small florets
5 oz. prepared dried wide egg noodles or fresh (I used Cappello’s brand located in the freezer section.)
½ cup hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
Chives, dill, lemon, and olive oil to serve
1. Saute leeks in oil until soft and begin to color (approx 7mins).
2. Stir in lemon zest, salt, and water and bring to simmer.
3. Add in the cooked rice, drained beans, and coconut milk.
4. Return all soup contents to a simmer with a final addition of the cauliflower and noodles.
5. Bring everything to a simmer again and cook until cauliflower is tender.
6. Top bowls with chopped nuts, fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon and drizzle of olive oil.
7. Enjoy every last bite!