Vegan Corn and Kale Chowder
June 9, 2019
Here’s a satisfying way to use sweet and tender fresh corn. Combining it with other seasonal vegetables makes this chowder a meal on its own. The smoky paprika adds a nice depth of flavor, complemented by the tang of fresh lime juice added before serving.
- 5 ears of fresh corn, husks removed and sliced off the cob
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and seeds removed
- 3 cups red or Yukon Gold potatoes, diced (leaving the peel on)
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale, stems removed and sliced into fine strips
- ½ bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Olive oil
- 3 cups prepared vegetable broth (I use Rapunzel cubes with boiling water)
- 1 can coconut milk or 1 ¾ cup of cashew milk
- Salt, pepper and red chili flakes to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt. Cook until soft, then add peppers, sweet and jalapeno, and potatoes.
- Continue cooking until peppers are soft. Add kale to the pan with enough broth just to cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender. Stir in spices and set aside, off heat.
- In a cast iron or heavy skillet on medium-high heat, roast corn kernels until lightly charred. Mix corn kernels and coconut milk into the cooked vegetables and simmer to blend flavors.
- Remove half of the mixture, and lightly blend the remaining ingredients with an immersion blender, leaving some texture. Combine all ingredients again, adjusting the amount of liquids and seasonings as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, topping with a pinch of fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with a wedge of lime and extra pepper flakes on the side.
You may also be interested in:
School may be back in session but the heat is still on and corn is still plentiful. This corn salad certainly celebrates all of the last tastes and textures of summer and would be a welcome addition…
So my husband, Joachim, and I share the grocery shopping as well as meal prep at our house. It is a unique divide however. He manages and maintains the fruit inventory because he makes the…
Hearty Seasonal Dinner Salad anyone? Bring it on! There are so many good things to say about this delicious salad created by Choosing Raw author Gena Hamshaw I don’t know where to begin. Here’s hopefully enough teasers that…