Scrumptious Sourdough Scones
March 25, 2022
Seriously if you haven’t started your GF sourdough do it today. All you need is a large mason jar or medium bowl, organic brown rice flour, and filtered water. Getting started takes five days and then you can reap the rewards over and again.
It’s been years since I made scones and then this recipe arrived in my inbox one wet grey morning and now I am a scone baker again. The version below produces a simple scone that pairs well with any jam or spread but don’t hesitate to mix it up a bit.
Speaking of mixing, scones don’t take kindly to over-mixing so incorporate your wet and dry ingredients here with a very light hand.
Adapted from the inspired Aran Goyoaga
Makes 6 scones
- 1/2 cup (110 g) vegan butter
- 1/2 cup (60 g) tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup (60 g) potato starch
- 1/3 cup (50 g) sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (150 g) cold sourdough direct from the fridge
- 1/3 cup (80 g) rich plant-based milk, I like a combination of coconut and almond, but Oat is also good.
- Place the butter in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, overnight is even better.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients tapioca starch, potato starch, sorghum flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Remove butter from the freezer and using a large box grater, grate the butter into the flour. This isn’t the easiest task but the results make it worthwhile.
- Toss the flour mixture and butter together gently with a fork.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sourdough discard and milk.
- Pour into the flour-butter mixture and again using a fork, toss together with a very light hand until you have a nice shaggy dough.
- Transfer the dough to your work surface and using your hands, bring the dough together and knead it a couple of times until it sticks together nicely. You should be able to see pieces of butter throughout the dough.
- Shape into a square that is 1-inch tall. If the dough is sticking too much to your work surface, dust with a bit of tapioca starch.
- Cut into 6 or 8 pieces with a sharp knife or use a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place scones gently on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until they are golden brown throughout.
Serve while warm.
Learn to support your health naturally with weekly tips
delivered straight to your inbox.
You may also be interested in:
“What I see in nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility.” – Albert Einstein Dear beloved, It’s birthing season for our neighborhood white-tailed deer herd. Following the herd through the cycle of the year provides precious reminders of…
Make this once and you will wonder why you ever ate pizza any other way. The potatoes slices turn golden and crispy on top and soft and creamy where they lay against the earthy layer of greens. I like a bit of the heat that red chili pepper flakes offer, but adjust according to your…
“Promise me you’ll always remember:You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A. A. Milne Dear beloved, As I reflect on my growth cycles over the past two years, it is difficult to pinpoint the moment I recognized I would be ok, my family would be ok…
I love a good noodle bowl; perhaps the freedom to design unique combinations speaks to my inner rebel child! Regardless of the reason, these are just pure joy to make and consume. I hope you can work this recipe into your menu next week. Ingredients Sauce ½ cup tahini One lime, juiced 1 T Maple…
“There is a life-force within your soul, seek that life. There is a gem in the mountain of your body, seek that mine.” -Rumi Dear beloved, Since I first held her tiny unfolding form hours after birth, it’s been clear my granddaughter Rowan is here on a mission. She is a teacher and her lessons…
I must admit that the pizza fan in me was a bit skeptical when my friend Jhuma proposed this recipe for dinner. But being a lover of veggies in all forms I was game to try. Not only did it win me over but I was anticipating the delicious leftovers the next day. Adapted from…
Enjoy this sweet mix of Gemmotherapy Materia Medica and an Asian Medicine lens as Maegan and Lauren explore the potential of each Gemmotherapy Extract. Discover what Grey Alder tree extract can offer you and your family now. Discover more about Lauren and Maegan’s work here: Lauren Hubele Maegan Lemp Learn more about Gemmotherapy here. Find…
“One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.” -Friedrich Nietzsche Dear beloved, My writing inspiration likes to show up in those liminal hours of dawn and then a morning river swim fills in the gap. As my week progresses I will see glimpses of the same…
In Germany this constructed and baked dish is called in auflauf. In my busy mom/high school teacher day I swore by them. Because like most moms I rose early to get ahead of the day I would assemble one before leaving the house. It was pure satisfaction to pull it out of the fridge, popping…
Join this lively conversation with Lauren Hubele and Teacher, Gemmo Fan, and Mom of Two, Ashley Dalme fielding questions from our listeners. Learn specific Gemmos and tips to settle even the youngest nervous systems in the household. In this episode, you will discover how to support sleep in your children whether the challenge comes getting…
“A powerful mental shift takes place when we stop telling ourselves why something can’t happen. When we can envision a hoped-for future, we strengthen our belief that it is possible.” -Joanna Macy, “Allegiance to Life” Dear beloved, When I’m called to go to the inner depths where my own voice is strong and clear, it…
When the high of the day is 48 degrees along coastal Maine, there’s nothing better than a warming vegetable curry. I was inspired to make this dish oil free, not a skill I had practiced but I’m always up for a new challenge. The results were absolutely delicious. Ingredients 4 medium sweet potatoes cut into…